Avoiding DIR's Public Works Prevailing Wage Penalties Part I
This is a three part series on DIR's public works prevailing wages.
Since 2007 the California Department of Industrial Relations has issued over 200 Civil Wage Penalty Assessments (CWPA) averaging $88,800 per assessment - DIR CWPA Decisions .
We've read a fair sampling of DIR's CWPA's, findings and decisions. Here is what, in our opinion, is required to possibly avoid a DIR Public Works Civil Wage Penalty Assessment.
Are you in Compliance?
1. What is DIR's "Important Notices" and where can you find it?
2. Do you fully understand CA Department of Industrial Relations (DIR) prevailing wage rules and weekly Certified Payroll Reports?
3. Do you fully understand why contractors must review certified payroll records of the subcontractor?
4. What is DIR's definition of an "itemized statement" and what information must it contain?
5. Do you fully understand DIR's Apprentice form DAS 140 requirements?
6. Do you fully understand DIR's Apprentice form DAS 142 rules?
7. Do you fully understand the difference between CAC and DAS?
8. Do you fully understand DIR's "Journeyman on Duty" rule?
9. Are you familiar with DIR's definition of an unregistered apprentice?
10. When must a contractor or subcontractor hire an apprentice?
11. Do you know the typical Apprentice hiring rule violations?
12. Do you know the typical Prevailing Wage violations?
13. What is the penalty for not paying the prevailing wage rate?
14. Do you know the typical Certified Payroll violations?
15. Do you know the typical Apprentice Training Fund violations?
Consulting Services We Provide
- Review public works preconstruction contracts
- Monitor DIR contractor/subcontractor certified payrolls
- Audit labor classification for each worker employed
- Review DIR pre-DAS 140/142 submissions
- Review CAC training fund contributions form CAC-2
- Review DIR Fringe Benefits Statement PW-26
- Monitor DIR wage determinations
- Audit fringe benefits allowances
- Review DIR holiday payment requirements
- Audit DIR travel & subsistence requirements
- Caltrans Labor Compliance
- County of Sacramento Labor Compliance
- City of Los Angeles Labor Compliance
- Los Angeles Unified School District Labor Compliance
- Federal Davis-Bacon Project Monitoring
- Federal DBE Implementation & Review
- Federal FAA AIP Goal Setting
- DIR & Davis-Bacon Training
- DIR Civil Wage Penalty Review
- Local-Hire Review (e.g., San Francisco)
- Skilled and Trained Workforce
Give us a call to discuss your labor compliance requirements.
This email is intended for general information purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice
or legal opinions on any specific facts or circumstances.