§ 1743. Joint and several liability for payment
§ 1742.1. Liability of contractor or surety for payment of wages
- The contractor and subcontractor shall be jointly and severally liable for all amounts due pursuant to a final order under this chapter or a judgment thereon. The Labor Commissioner shall first exhaust all reasonable remedies to collect the amount due from the subcontractor before pursuing the claim against the contractor.
- From the amount collected, the wage claim shall be satisfied prior to the amount being applied to penalties. If insufficient money is recovered to pay each worker in full, the money shall be prorated among all workers.
- Wages for workers who cannot be located shall be placed in the Industrial Relations Unpaid Wage Fund and held in trust for the workers pursuant to Section 96.7. Penalties shall be paid into the General Fund.
- A final order under this chapter or a judgment thereon shall be binding, with respect to the amount found to be due, on a bonding company issuing a bond that secures the payment of wages and a surety on a bond. The limitations period of any action on a payment bond shall be tolled pending a final order that is no longer subject to judicial review.
Division 2. Employment Regulation and Supervision Part 7. Public Works and Public Agencies Chapter 1. Public Works Article 1.5. Right of Action § 1750
Consulting Services We Provide
- Review public works preconstruction contracts
- Monitor DIR contractor/subcontractor certified payrolls
- Audit labor classification for each worker employed
- Review DIR pre-DAS 140/142 submissions
- Review CAC training fund contributions form CAC-2
- Review DIR Fringe Benefits Statement PW-26
- Monitor DIR wage determinations
- Audit fringe benefits allowances
- Review DIR holiday payment requirements
- Audit DIR travel & subsistence requirements
- Caltrans Labor Compliance
- County of Sacramento Labor Compliance
- City of Los Angeles Labor Compliance
- Los Angeles Unified School District Labor Compliance
- Federal Davis-Bacon Project Monitoring
- Federal DBE Implementation & Review
- Federal FAA AIP Goal Setting
- DIR & Davis-Bacon Training
- DIR Civil Wage Penalty Review
- Local-Hire Review (e.g., San Francisco)
- Skilled and Trained Workforce
Give us a call to discuss your labor compliance requirements: 916-234-3958.
This email is intended for general information purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice
or legal opinions on any specific facts or circumstances.