Understanding DIR Wage Determinations
What is an issue date?
The date upon which copies of the determination of the director are deposited in the mail. Determinations are issued twice a year - Feb. 22 and Aug. 22.
Why is there an expiration date for each prevailing wage determination?
The expiration date indicates when the determination of the director of the California Department of Industrial Relations is subject to change.
What does it mean when there is a single asterisk (*) after the expiration date of a prevailing wage determination?
Prevailing wage determinations with a single asterisk after the expiration date, which are in effect on the date of advertisement for bids, remain in effect for the life of the project. Interested parties should contact the Office of the Director - Research Unit at (415) 703-4774 for the new rates after 10 days from the expiration date (if no subsequent determination is required) or visit our website.
What does it mean when there are double asterisks (**) after the expiration date of a prevailing wage determination?
Prevailing wage determinations with double asterisks after the expiration date indicate that the basic hourly wage rate, overtime, holiday pay rates and employers' payments for work performed after this date have been predetermined. If work is to extend past this date, the new rates must be paid and should be incorporated in contracts entered into now.
What is a predetermined change?
Definite changes to the basic hourly wage rate, overtime, holiday pay rates and employer payments which are known and specified in the applicable collective bargaining agreement at the time of the bid advertisement date and which are referenced in the general prevailing rate of per diem wages.
What is the effective date of a prevailing wage determination?
The date upon which the determinations of the director of the California Department of Industrial Relations go into effect. This date is 10 days after the issue date of the determination.
Consulting Services We Provide
- Review public works preconstruction contracts
- Monitor DIR contractor/subcontractor certified payrolls
- Audit labor classification for each worker employed
- Review DIR pre-DAS 140/142 submissions
- Review CAC training fund contributions form CAC-2
- Review DIR Fringe Benefits Statement PW-26
- Monitor DIR wage determinations
- Audit fringe benefits allowances
- Review DIR holiday payment requirements
- Audit DIR travel & subsistence requirements
- Caltrans Labor Compliance
- County of Sacramento Labor Compliance
- City of Los Angeles Labor Compliance
- Los Angeles Unified School District Labor Compliance
- Federal Davis-Bacon Project Monitoring
- Federal DBE Implementation & Review
- Federal FAA AIP Goal Setting
- DIR & Davis-Bacon Training
- DIR Civil Wage Penalty Review
- Local-Hire Review (e.g., San Francisco)
- Skilled and Trained Workforce
Give us a call to discuss your labor compliance requirements.
This email is intended for general information purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice
or legal opinions on any specific facts or circumstances.