Apprentices, Trainees, Helpers, and Welders
Apprentices and Trainees
- Additional classifications and wage rates are not needed for bona fide apprentices and trainees working on Davis-Bacon covered contracts. Rates for apprentices and trainees are not listed on Davis-Bacon wage determinations. Apprentices or trainees are permitted to work at less than the wage rates listed in the contract wage determination for the work they perform only if they meet the requirements of 29 C.F.R. Part 5, section 5.5(a)(4), such as being registered or certified in an appropriate apprenticeship or training program. (See FAR at 48 C.F.R. § 22.401 Definitions, "Laborers or mechanics," paragraphs (1) and (2), and 48 C.F.R. § 52.222-6.)
- Generally, conformance requests for helpers will not be approved unless the duties performed are clearly defined and distinct from those of any other classification on the wage determination, the use of such helpers is an established prevailing practice in the area, and the helper is not employed as a trainee in an informal training program. The conformance process cannot be used to add a "helper" classification where any work to be performed by the helper is performed by a classification in the wage determination. 29 C.F.R. §§ 5.2(n)(4) and 5.5(a)(1)(ii)(A).
- Additional classifications are not generally needed for welders. Welding is commonly considered incidental to the work of employees for whom classifications are issued. Thus, it is appropriate for welders to be classified in the same classification as the employees who are performing the duties to which the welding work is incidental (for example, ironworkers, plumbers, sheet metal workers, etc.). However, welders may sometimes represent a separate sub-classification and in those cases, may be conformed.
Consulting Services We Provide
- Review public works preconstruction contracts
- Monitor DIR contractor/subcontractor certified payrolls
- Audit labor classification for each worker employed
- Review DIR pre-DAS 140/142 submissions
- Review CAC training fund contributions form CAC-2
- Review DIR Fringe Benefits Statement PW-26
- Monitor DIR wage determinations
- Audit fringe benefits allowances
- Review DIR holiday payment requirements
- Audit DIR travel & subsistence requirements
- Caltrans Labor Compliance
- County of Sacramento Labor Compliance
- City of Los Angeles Labor Compliance
- Los Angeles Unified School District Labor Compliance
- Federal Davis-Bacon Project Monitoring
- Federal DBE Implementation & Review
- Federal FAA AIP Goal Setting
- DIR & Davis-Bacon Training
- DIR Civil Wage Penalty Review
- Local-Hire Review (e.g., San Francisco)
- Skilled and Trained Workforce
Give us a call to discuss your labor compliance requirements.
This email is intended for general information purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice
or legal opinions on any specific facts or circumstances.