2-1 The Wage Decision
2-1 The Wage Decision.
Davis-Bacon labor standards stipulate the wage payment requirements for Carpenters, Electricians, Plumbers, Roofers, Laborers, and other construction work classifications that may be needed for the project. The Davis-Bacon wage decision that applies to the project contains a schedule of work classifications and wage rates that must be followed. If you don’t have it already (and by now you should), you’ll want to get a copy of the applicable Davis-Bacon wage decision.
Remember, the wage decision is contained in the contract specifications along with the labor standards clauses. See 1-3, Construction Contract Provisions.
- The work classifications and wage rates. A Davis-Bacon wage decision is simply a listing of different work classifications and the minimum wage rates that must be paid to anyone performing work in those classifications. You’ll want to make sure that the work classification(s) you need are contained in the wage decision and make certain you know exactly what wage rate(s) you will need to pay. Some wage decisions cover several counties and/or types of construction work (for example, residential and commercial work) and can be lengthy and difficult to read. Contact the contract administrator (HUD Labor Relations field staff or local agency staff) if you have any trouble reading the wage decision or finding the work classification(s) you need.
To make reading lengthy wage decisions easier for you, the contract administrator may prepare a Project Wage Rate Sheet (HUD-4720).This Sheet is a one-page transcript that will show only the classifications and wage rates for a particular project. A blank copy of a Project Wage Rate Sheet is provided for you in the appendix. Also, a fillable version of this form is available on-line at HUDClips (see web address in the Appendix). Contact the contract administrator monitoring your project for assistance with a Project Wage Rate Sheet.
- Posting the wage decision. If you are the prime contractor, you will be responsible for posting a copy of the wage decision (or the Project Wage Rate Sheet) and a copy of the DOL Davis-Bacon poster titled Employee Rights under the Davis-Bacon Act (Form WH-1321) at the job site in a place that is easily accessible to all of the construction workers employed at the project and where the wage decision and poster won’t be destroyed by wind or rain, etc. The Employee Rights under the Davis-Bacon Act poster is available in English and Spanish on-line at HUDClips (see address in the Appendix).
The Employee Rights under the Davis-Bacon Act poster (WH-1321) replaces the Notice to all Employees. The new poster is available in English and Spanish on-line at HUDClips (see address in the Appendix).
Consulting Services We Provide
- Review public works preconstruction contracts
- Monitor DIR contractor/subcontractor certified payrolls
- Audit labor classification for each worker employed
- Review DIR pre-DAS 140/142 submissions
- Review CAC training fund contributions form CAC-2
- Review DIR Fringe Benefits Statement PW-26
- Monitor DIR wage determinations
- Audit fringe benefits allowances
- Review DIR holiday payment requirements
- Audit DIR travel & subsistence requirements
- Caltrans Labor Compliance
- County of Sacramento Labor Compliance
- City of Los Angeles Labor Compliance
- Los Angeles Unified School District Labor Compliance
- Federal Davis-Bacon Project Monitoring
- Federal DBE Implementation & Review
- Federal FAA AIP Goal Setting
- DIR & Davis-Bacon Training
- DIR Civil Wage Penalty Review
- Local-Hire Review (e.g., San Francisco)
- Skilled and Trained Workforce
Give us a call to discuss your labor compliance requirements.
This email is intended for general information purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice
or legal opinions on any specific facts or circumstances.