Property inspections during construction and upon completion are important to document compliance with property standards, and conformance to approved plans and specifications, and to verify the basis of payments. When there are multiple funders involved, it is recommended that the involved parties coordinate the inspections. However, PJs need to rely on inspections done by persons who have a programmatic relationship with the PJ. Particularly because the HOME property standards are more stringent than the LIHTC property standards, the PJ cannot rely on the state allocating agency to inspect on the PJ’s behalf.
The following inspections are recommended for a HOME-LIHTC project:
- Progress inspections. During construction, and at least at every point in the contract when payment is requested by the contractor, the property should be inspected to verify that:
- Stated work is completed to justify payment.
- The contractor is complying with all applicable work, labor, and contracting provisions.
- Work complies with safe work practices and the interim controls or abatement requirements of the job, if lead-based paint rules apply.
- Final inspections. At the end of construction, a final inspection(s) is needed to:
- Verify completion of the scope.
- Determine the punch list of uncompleted items.
- Obtain certificates of occupancy.
- Certify compliance with applicable standards prior to occupancy.
- Approve release of retainage.
Consulting Services We Provide
- Review public works preconstruction contracts
- Monitor DIR contractor/subcontractor certified payrolls
- Audit labor classification for each worker employed
- Review DIR pre-DAS 140/142 submissions
- Review CAC training fund contributions form CAC-2
- Review DIR Fringe Benefits Statement PW-26
- Monitor DIR wage determinations
- Audit fringe benefits allowances
- Review DIR holiday payment requirements
- Audit DIR travel & subsistence requirements
- Caltrans Labor Compliance
- County of Sacramento Labor Compliance
- City of Los Angeles Labor Compliance
- Los Angeles Unified School District Labor Compliance
- Federal Davis-Bacon Project Monitoring
- Federal DBE Implementation & Review
- Federal FAA AIP Goal Setting
- DIR & Davis-Bacon Training
- DIR Civil Wage Penalty Review
- Local-Hire Review (e.g., San Francisco)
- Skilled and Trained Workforce
Give us a call to discuss your labor compliance requirements.
This email is intended for general information purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice
or legal opinions on any specific facts or circumstances.