HOME Program Activities

HOME Program Activities

  • Homebuyer activities. PJs may finance the acquisition and/or rehabilitation, or new construction of homes for homebuyers.
  • Rental housing. Affordable rental housing may be acquired and/or rehabilitated, or constructed.
  • Tenant-based rental assistance (TBRA). Financial assistance for rent, security deposits and, under certain conditions, utility deposits may be provided to tenants. Assistance for utility deposits may only be provided in conjunction with a TBRA security deposit or monthly rental assistance program.

Eligible Costs

Eligible costs under the HOME Program depend on the nature of the program activity. Generally, HOME funds can be used for the following activities:

  • New construction. HOME funds may be used for new construction of both rental and ownership housing. Any project that includes the addition of dwelling units outside the existing walls of a structure is considered new construction.
  • Rehabilitation. This includes the alteration, improvement, or modification of an existing structure. It also includes moving an existing structure to a foundation constructed with HOME funds. Rehabilitation may include adding rooms outside the existing walls of a structure, but adding a housing unit is considered new construction.
  • Reconstruction. This refers to rebuilding a structure on the same lot where housing is standing at the time of project commitment. HOME funds may be used to build a new foundation or repair an existing foundation. Reconstruction also includes replacing a substandard manufactured house with a new manufactured house. During reconstruction, the number of rooms per unit may change, but the number of units may not.

HOME funds can be used to support four general affordable housing activities:

  • Homeowner rehabilitation. HOME funds may be used to assist existing owner-occupants with the repair, rehabilitation, or reconstruction of their homes.
  • Conversion. Conversion of an existing structure from another use to affordable residential housing is usually classified as rehabilitation. If conversion involves additional units beyond the walls of an existing structure, the entire project is new construction. Conversion of a structure to commercial use is not eligible under HOME.
  • Site improvements. Site improvements must be in keeping with improvements to surrounding standard projects. They include new, on-site improvements where none are present or the repair of existing infrastructure when it is essential to the development. Building new, off-site utility connections to an adjacent street is also eligible. Otherwise, off-site infrastructure is not eligible as a HOME expense, but may be eligible for match credit.
  • Acquisition of property. Acquisition of existing standard property, or substandard property in need of rehabilitation, is eligible as part of either a homebuyer program or a rental housing project. After acquisition, rental units must meet HOME rental occupancy, affordability, and lease requirements.
  • Capitalization of project reserves. HOME funds may be used to fund an operating deficit reserve for rental new construction and rehabilitation projects for the initial rent-up period. The reserve may be used to pay for project operating expenses, scheduled payments to a replacement reserve, and debt service for a period of up to 18 months.
  • Project-related soft costs. These must be reasonable and necessary. Examples of eligible project soft costs include:
    1. Finance-related costs;
    2. Architectural, engineering, and related professional services;
    3. Tenant and homebuyer counseling, provided the recipient of counseling ultimately becomes the tenant or owner of a HOME-assisted unit;
    4. Project audit costs;
    5. Affirmative marketing and fair housing services to prospective tenants or owners of an assisted project; and
    6. PJ staff costs directly related to projects (not including TBRA).
  • Acquisition of vacant land. HOME funds may be used for acquisition of vacant land only if construction will begin on a HOME project within 12 months of purchase. Land banking is prohibited.
  • Demolition. Demolition of an existing structure may be funded through HOME only if construction will begin on the HOME project within 12 months.
  • Relocation costs. The Uniform Relocation Assistance and Real Property Acquisition Policies Act of 1970 (known as the “Uniform Relocation Act” or “URA”) and Section 104(d) of the Housing and Community Development Act of 1974, as amended (known as “Section 104(d)”) apply to HOME-assisted properties. Both permanent and temporary relocation assistance are eligible costs, for all those relocated, regardless of income. Staff and overhead costs associated with relocation assistance are also eligible. Note that homeownership undertaken with FY04 –FY07 American Dream Downpayment Initiative (ADDI) funds is not subject to the URA.
  • Refinancing. HOME funds may be used to refinance existing debt on single family, owner-occupied properties in connection with HOME-funded rehabilitation. The refinancing must be necessary to reduce the owner’s overall housing costs and make the housing more affordable. Refinancing for the purpose of taking out equity is not permitted. HOME may be used to refinance existing debt on multifamily projects being rehabilitated with HOME funds, if refinancing is necessary to permit or continue long-term affordability, and is consistent with PJ-established refinancing guidelines, as outlined in the PJ’s consolidated plan.

Prohibited Activities and Costs

HOME funds may not be used to support the following activities and costs:

  • Project reserve accounts. HOME funds may not be used to provide project reserve accounts (except for initial operating deficit reserves) or to pay for operating subsidies.
  • Tenant-based rental assistance for certain purposes. HOME funds may not be used for certain mandated existing Housing Choice Voucher Program (formerly known as Section 8) uses, such as Housing Choice Voucher rent subsidies for troubled HUD-insured projects.
  • Match for other Federal programs. HOME Program funds may not be used as the “nonfederal” match for other Federal programs except to match McKinney Act funds.
  • Development, operations, or modernization of public housing:
    1. HOME funds cannot be used alone or in conjunction with HUD-funded public housing program funds (e.g., Public Housing capital programs such as Development, Comprehensive Improvements Assistance Program (CIAP) or Comprehensive Grant Program (CGP)) to acquire, rehabilitate, or construct public housing units.
    2. HOME funds cannot be used to operate public housing units under any circumstances.
  • Properties receiving assistance under 24 CFR Part 248 (Prepayment of Low-Income Housing Mortgages). Properties receiving assistance through the Low-Income Housing Preservation and Resident Homeownership Act (LIHPRHA) or the Emergency Low-Income Preservation Act (ELIHPA) are not eligible for HOME assistance except if the HOME assistance is provided to priority purchasers. Note: these programs are no longer funded by HUD.
  • Double-dipping. During the first year after project completion, the PJ may commit additional funds to a project. After the first year, no additional HOME funds may be provided to a HOME-assisted project during the relevant period of affordability, except that:
    1. Tenant based rental assistance to families may be renewed.
    2. Tenant based rental assistance may be provided to families that will occupy housing previously assisted with HOME funds.
    3. A homebuyer may be assisted with HOME funds to acquire a unit that was previously assisted with HOME funds.
  • Acquisition of PJ-owned property. A PJ may not use HOME Program funds to reimburse itself for property in its inventory or property purchased for another purpose. However, in anticipation of a HOME project, a PJ may use HOME funds to:
    1. Acquire property; and
    2. Reimburse itself for property acquired with other funds, specifically for a HOME project.
  • Project-based rental assistance. HOME funds may not be used for rental assistance if receipt of funds is tied to occupancy in a particular project. Funds from another source, such as Housing Choice Voucher, may be used for this type of project-based assistance in a HOME-assisted unit. Further, HOME funds may be used for other eligible costs, such as rehabilitation, in units receiving project-based assistance from another source—for example, Housing Choice Voucher or state-funded project-based assistance.
  • Pay for delinquent taxes, fees, or charges. HOME funds may not be used to pay delinquent taxes, fees, or charges on properties to be assisted with HOME funds.

Consulting Services We Provide

  • Review public works preconstruction contracts
  • Monitor DIR contractor/subcontractor certified payrolls
  • Audit labor classification for each worker employed
  • Review DIR pre-DAS 140/142 submissions
  • Review CAC training fund contributions form CAC-2
  • Review DIR Fringe Benefits Statement PW-26
  • Monitor DIR wage determinations
  • Audit fringe benefits allowances
  • Review DIR holiday payment requirements
  • Audit DIR travel & subsistence requirements
  • Caltrans Labor Compliance
  • County of Sacramento Labor Compliance
  • City of Los Angeles Labor Compliance
  • Los Angeles Unified School District Labor Compliance
  • Federal Davis-Bacon Project Monitoring
  • Federal DBE Implementation & Review
  • Federal FAA AIP Goal Setting
  • DIR & Davis-Bacon Training
  • DIR Civil Wage Penalty Review
  • Local-Hire Review (e.g., San Francisco)
  • Skilled and Trained Workforce

Give us a call to discuss your labor compliance requirements.

This email is intended for general information purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice
or legal opinions on any specific facts or circumstances.

© 2009-2020 GroupOne Company. All Rights Reserved.